FOR VETERINARIAN USE ONLY!
- If you are a vet working with alpacas, purchase this IV Fluids & Blood Transfusion Kit to stash in your car and have everything you need in an emergency to place an IV catheter and perform a blood transfusion or administer IV fluids. (By the way, it’s useful for small ruminants too!)
- If you are an owner, purchase this to have everything ready for your vet to use!
Why might I need this?
Vets have a huge amount of kit to carry about in their vehicles but it is difficult to carry everything to cater for every need! Alpacas can become extremely compromised and having the right gear to hand can make the difference between life and death for these animals. If the supplies aren’t readily on hand and the vet needs to return to the surgery to acquire emergency kit such as this, it wastes time and money and can impact negatively on the chance for recovery.
This kit contains blood collection bags in the case that you have a severely anaemic alpaca that needs a transfusion and also everything required for the vet to place an IV catheter in order to administer that transfusion. There is also a 1L bag of balanced electrolyte solution in case emergency resuscitation is required. This may be the case with an alpaca that is dehydrated or in a state of cardiovascular shock.
There are blood tubes and microscope slides as well to enable your vet to efficiently collect blood to send it off to the lab for evaluation. Catheters, syringes and needles are all included so there should be no need to rummage around in the car for a load of different things.
All that is needed to add is a pair of clippers to clip the hair over the jugular vein on the neck, antiseptic scrub and alcohol to aseptically prepare the site for blood collection or for placing the IV catheter, and also some local anaesthetic. These are items typically carried by large animal vets.
- 2 blood collection packs
- 2 blood transfusion admin sets
- 1 fluid admin set
- 1 litre Fluids for IV administration
- Heparinised flush set-up
- IV catheters: 2 for animals aged > 6 months, one for 3-6 months
- A collection of syringes and needles to enable blood collection, transfusion and giving fluids
- Microscope slides and case for making blood smears
- Latex gloves
- 1 elasticated bandage
- Gauze swabs
- Rigid clear container for easy storage and access
- Instructions for the vet!
If you just want the blood collection packs and administration sets, click here.
There are no reviews yet.